Friday, April 27, 2018

TGIT

It has always bothered me when I've heard people make comments like, "It's almost Friday..." or "Only two more days until the weekend..."  Yes, I get the idea of TGIF and the fact that the weekend represents non-work days, lazy mornings, and less responsibility.  And while the comments may not be intended to indicate unhappiness, I believe that the overall sentiment they embody leans in that direction.

I worked with a teacher many years ago, and when I'd see him in the morning I'd ask him how he was doing.  He'd always respond with, "It's only Wednesday."  (Or Tuesday, or any other day but Friday.)  It got me to thinking.  What's wrong with Wednesdays?  Wednesdays represent 14 percent of my week.  Non-Friday workdays represent 4/7th of my week, a whopping 57% of my living and breathing days.  Is there any reason why those days shouldn't be freaking awesome?!?!  Is there any reason why I shouldn't be saying TGIW?  After all, on every Wednesday that I wake up I get to go to a job I love, work diligently to impact others in a positive way, take deep breaths of clean air, take a hot shower under clean water, earn a living to support my family, and have countless opportunities to laugh and think and, quite often, even cry

I stopped asking that teacher how he was doing.  I decided that I'd never be one of those people who thanks God for Fridays.  Thank God For Today.  It's the only day I've got.

No comments:

Post a Comment